The god of War and adversity.
The world can be a hard and cruel place: Ares helps us to get through it. His blessings are strength, courage, fortitude, cunning, and the passion to fight for the things that we think are important. He helps us to shed what is not efficient, to become hard in order to meet life's adversity. He is a tough master, but when things start falling apart around you, that's precisely the person you want on your side.
- Aphneius - Bountiful
- Areopagite - of the Aeropagus
- Enualios - Companion of Enyo
- Gynaikothoinas - One Whom the Women Feast
- Theritas - .
Spear, sword, shield, helmet
Wolf, horse, boar
Frankincense, opoponax, pepper, oak, nettle, cactus, absinthe, rue, ruby, dogs, humans
- No Festival (-) .
Ways to honor
Practice martial arts. Respect veterans, and what they've gone through. Stand up for the principles you believe in. Find constructive ways of handling adversity. Study military history.
- No articles yet... Why not write one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
Ancient Hymns and Texts
- No Ancient Texts yet... Do you know one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
Modern Hymns and Devotions
- No modern devotions yet... You want to offer one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
- Aeschlyus' Eumenides 685-690
- Apollodorus' Library 1.4.4, 1.7.7, 1.8.2, 1.9.16, 2.5.8-9, 3.4.1-2, 3.5.5, 3.9.2, 3.14.8
- Apollonius Rhodius' Argonautica 2.404-406, 2.989-992, 2.1169-1176, 3.409-413, 3.1227
- Euripides' Elektra 1258-1262
- Hesiod's Theogony 921-923, 934-937
- Hesiod's Shield of Herakles and Telegony
- Homer's Iliad
- Homer's Odyssey 8.266-366
- Homeric Hymn to Ares 8
- Hyginus' Fabulae 159
- Nonnus' Dionysiaca 302-304
- Ovid's Metamorphoses 15.862-863
- Pausanias' Description of Greece 5.7.10, 5.22.6, 8.44.7-8, 8.48.4-5, 9.36.1, 9.37.7
- The Gods of the Greeks by C. Kerényi
Primary Cult Centers
This God Page hasn't been adopted yet. Even if it isn't adopted, you can still contribute with information, updates, articles, and devotions, just email the webmaster.