Until modern times Eris was not really worshipped. Today, however, she has a role to play has the Goddess of adversity and of dark times that help you see the good in your life.
In ancient times, it is unlikely Eris was seen as giving blessings of any kind. She was seen as a goddess of strife, war, discord, and rivalry. In more modern times, she has been co-opted as the goddess who provides us with the flip-side to the good in life, the dark which highlights our light moments. It is said she engenders a sense of humor in her followers. She is also the one who brings the madness of war and discord, which can sometimes lead to positive things, such as the ending of racial discrimination, etc.
- Discordia - Latinized name
- Enyo - Name of a war goddess (Homer uses Eris and Enyo interchangeably)
- No Festival (-) .
Ways to honor
Recognize the positivity of dark times and things regarded as negative (such as war). Participate in movements that fight against things you disagree with - social protest is a form of discord.
- No articles yet... Why not write one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
Ancient Hymns and Texts
- No Ancient Texts yet... Do you know one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
Modern Hymns and Devotions
- No modern devotions yet... You want to offer one? Contact the member responsible for this page by clicking his name on the sidebar.
- Euripides' Phoenician Women 799
- Hesiod's Theogony 225-232
- Hesiod's Works and Days 11-19
- Homer's Iliad 4.439-445, 11.3-14
- Virgil's Aeneid 7.702
- Eris at Theoi
- Eris at Greek Mythology Link
- Eris at a Glance
- Eris from Mythagora
- Hymn to Eris at Sacred Texts
- Discord and Conflict
Primary Cult Centers
- No cult in ancient times
This God Page hasn't been adopted yet. Even if it isn't adopted, you can still contribute with information, updates, articles, and devotions, just email the webmaster.